What is a Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE)
A functional capacity evaluation (FCE) is a series of standardised tests used to objectively assess a worker’s functional capacities for work. This testing is completed by an actif physiotherapist , usually within our specially designed offices or occasionally onsite within the workplace.
An FCE is used to determine a worker’s abilities over a range of physical demands in order to facilitate his or her functional recovery. A FCE should be used to match what the worker can actually do physically against the critical physical demands of a job role (either pre injury duties or new duties)
When should I request an FCE from Actif?
When information is required about a worker’s functional abilities that is not available through other means (eg from the GP or other treating practitioners). It is recommended that wherever possible, an FCE should reflect a worker’s capacity to perform the physical activities that may be involved in jobs that are potentially available to the worker.
What can I use an FCE for?
An FCE may be used as a source of information for:
▪ Developing return to work plans
▪ Communicating relevant information to involved parties including the worker, the doctor and employer
▪ Reporting key observations in relation to appropriate and inappropriate activities and behaviors (ie pain reporting that does not match actual physical ability)
▪ Making recommendations about interventions such as safe manual handling and other actions which will facilitate return to work
▪ Assessing the worker’s capacity to meet the physical demands of specific duties when other sources do not provide this information.
▪ Specifying duties including proposed return to work duties or different duties.
Actif use the WorkHab's© FCE method which is one of the most widely researched and reliable forms of functional capacity evaluation available.